Fab Five Faves
I have a cold. I woke up with it yesterday morning and I’ve still got it today and I’ll probably still have it tomorrow. It stinks! (And makes me use lots of exclamation marks!) So, seeing as the lovely Pip (who also has a cold – alas!) is hosting five faves I thought I’d share my fab five fave ways to fight a cold!
1. Feed it! With chicken noodle soup! Whichever is your favourite. Today I had udon soup with teriyaki chicken. The clear salty broth was heavenly and the soft noodles went down a treat, oh yes. I bought mine from the excellent Japanese restaurant downstairs from work but you (or someone who likes you very much and is taking care of you perhaps?) could make some. This recipe looks good. So does this one. And this one. So many good chicken noodle soups to choose from! Ooh and while you’re at it, check out this Rice porridge with chicken and lemon grass. How good does that look? Very is the answer. I think that would go down a treat!
2. Water it! Try the juice of half a lemon, 1 teaspoon of honey and some hot water in a big mug. It soothes the throat! Honest! Yesterday I was craving salt, so I had a steaming mug of Bovril. It was so good! And before I went to bed I had a wee dram of brandy for medicinal purposes. But mostly I think water is the way to go, yes indeedy!
3. Moisturise! Lots! And use aloe vera tissues. Your nose will feel all the better for it!
4. Stay warm! Wear layers! Wrap yourself in a blanket, wear woolly socks and slippers and use a heat pack or a hot water bottle. Maybe one with a snazzy cover like the one above, from A Crooked Sixpence. Be cosy!
5. Go easy on yourself! Even if you really do have to work, then pace yourself! Take breaks! If you can rest then do! Read a favourite book. Watch a favourite film. It’ll do you a world of good, it will!
Have I missed anything? Is there a remedy or comfort you love? Do share!